Monday 15 February 2016

Badging the Ogles

When I visited Markus Tanner about a year ago in Switzerland he showed me an unusual Ogle badge that he'd found while on the hunt for SX1000 parts (he restored this car beautifully). It certainly was similar to the ones used on both of the SX1000's c-pillars, but this one simply came on a heavy black base. Like Markus, I had no idea what it was meant for. David Ogle's paperweight perhaps? While searching a picture last week I came across the thing again and compared it to some other photographs I'd taken of Ogle badges. It appeared to me there were some differences in between them. Here's what I found:


Golden Ogle badge on a heavy base, as seen in Switzerland. What was it meant for?
Picture Jeroen Booij

This is a similar badge as seen on one of the cars. But detail and horns are clearly different 
Picture Jeroen Booij

This one is again different or are those horns simply bent?
Picture Jeroen Booij

This one is outright flat and it doesn't seem to be chrome plated
Picture Jeroen Booij
While this one is plated but again, the detail is not very fine
Picture Jeroen Booij
However, this one does look very similar to the golden badge
Picture Jeroen Booij

As does this one. But how many variants were there?
Picture Jeroen Booij

This is another variant, this time seen on the front grille of an SX1000
Picture Jeroen Booij

Some of them also have this badge on their front grille. I think they are early cars
Picture Jeroen Booij

Same logo, different car, different colour. And I've seen it in both red/black, too
Picture courtesy Guy Loveridge

One car I saw had just the Ogle name on its grille. A cut out from the above?
Picture Jeroen Booij

Some of the earliest of the SX1000s used the badge of their donor car. Like Tom Karen's personal Ogle, based on a 997 Austin Cooper
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

No comments:

Post a Comment